From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Basic Vmware setup
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:23:40
1 Workstation allows you to create snapshots of a setup and then create clones
2 from it so you can make a base system, then do branches off of it as you add
3 to it. For example, you can create a base Gentoo install and snapshot it.
4 Then you can clone it and install some software - say to make a DAW. You
5 can snapshot that and continue adding software to it or clone it. The
6 workstations use differential methods to create the clones so storage space
7 isn't as great as storing an the vm and it's files.
8
9 Server you can't do snapshots so you create a VM, save it, copy it, then
10 modify it. However, server does allow you to start the VMs as a service and
11 keep them running when you are not logged in - with workstation you have to
12 start them after you login.
13
14 In short they each do different things and what you use depends on the
15 situation. At work I use workstation so I can do snapshots since I am
16 testing setups and I want to have a base to go back to and start over from.
17 However, I have to start the service each time I login in so others can get
18 to the VMs. For someone who doesn't need snapshotting you can just copy VMs
19 and add to them as long as you have th file space.