From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 03:08:34
1 On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 6:53 PM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > First, thanks for all the input regarding CFLAGS.
5 >
6 > Can I be honest here?  My technical skills don't seem to be anywhere
7 > near on a par with most of the people on this list.  I've been using
8 > Gentoo since 2004 and the reason I do, is for the control that I have
9 > over my system.
10 >
11 > Because this will be a new computer and I may essentially void the
12 > warranty if I alter the pre-configuration, I seriously thought about
13 > leaving the status quo and putting up with Windows 7.  However, I would
14 > lose practically as much as losing my first born!  I would have to put
15 > up with all the things that bug me about Windows and I wouldn't have all
16 > the programs that I love in Linux.
17 >
18 > If I am a "chicken shit" and still want Linux, I could install another
19 > distro, like Kubuntu, where you can be almost brain dead and still get a
20 > running Linux system, but then I would sacrifice the control that I know
21 > and love about Gentoo.  I'm not willing to do that either .... at least
22 > not without a fight.
23 >
24 > I've always managed to get my Gentoo system running and maintained, but
25 > I've always used an x86 iso and stage 3.  I've googled and didn't really
26 > find a definitive answer to my question so, I am bowing to the experts
27 > on this list and asking you guys to bear with me and help me out.
28 >
29 > What would you recommend that I used for the iso an stage 3?  As a
30 > reminder my computer is a Dell XPS 8300 with an Intel Core -i7-2600
31 > processor.  I'm a little confused between the choices x86 (which seems
32 > to only apply to Pentium 4 systems and only utilizes 32-bit processing),
33 > amd64 and ia64.
34 >
35 > Thanks in advance for your help.
36 >
37 > Regards,
38 >
39 > Colleen
40 >
41 > --
42 >
43 > Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
44
45 Hi Colleen,
46 I'm not sure I understand the warranty issue so take this with a
47 grain of salt but most of the pre-configured Windows machines I've
48 received in the last couple of years had some disk space left over
49 outside of the Windows C drive. I'm sure you could install Gentoo on
50 one of those and not void anything, assuming you have one.
51
52 If you don't then you could do all the Windows install they require
53 and then generate your recovery disks Once you've got the recovery
54 disks you're in pretty good shape to set everything back up like it
55 was when you got it. I don't see how that could void a warranty.
56
57 William's comment about running Gentoo in a VM is very valid.
58
59 There really aren't any specific 64-bit things I'm aware of that
60 you need to choose. It's all pretty generic these days, at least with
61 the Intel processors. I've not used an AMD processor in a while. Boot
62 from pretty much any Linux Live CD and then do the stage 3 install and
63 you should be fine. ia64 isn't TTBOMK knowledge something you need to
64 pay attention to. All my Intel i5 & i7 machines are amd64 stable with
65 a few ~amd64 packages.
66
67 One note about the Sandy Bridge processor is reight now it does
68 require a specific CFLAG setting to get everything to build correctly
69 due to a gcc bug.
70
71 As for any other distro, once you use Gentoo you won't be happy
72 elsewhere. ;-) Stick with Gentoo, most especially since you have all
73 the hardware power you need to build code at world class speed.
74
75 Hope this helps,
76 Mark