From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question concerning graphics...
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:29:07
1 Am 10.03.2013 09:54, schrieb Chris Walters:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > I have a couple of questions concerning what graphic drivers you use.
5 > Does anyone use the proprietary ATI drivers, or have used them? Would
6 > you recommend them? I just recently started using the ati-drivers
7 > package, but I don't really notice a difference - yes it does say the
8 > frame rate is much higher, but I am not sure it is worth losing my
9 > framebuffer over them.
10 >
11 > Technically, I lost my frame buffer because I am using an initramfs
12 > (initrd) because I have an encrypted root file system, and a separate
13 > non-encrypted usr partition. I still have not been able to figure out
14 > how to get either uvesafb or vesafb working through the initramfs. They
15 > will both load fine, before my initrd starts, then they seem to disappear.
16 >
17 > In case you're wondering, before I changed to the proprietary ati
18 > drivers, I was using the kernel framebuffer for my video card(s). Two
19 > Radeon HD 5000 series cards. I did have to insert the proper ucode into
20 > my kernel, but it worked.
21 >
22 > Chris
25 I use the ati-drivers package, and I'd say there are pretty solid now. I
26 first started using ati-drivers with my HD2600 card card - as the kernel
27 drivers did not support the power saving mechanisms of the card. No
28 power saving on the HD2600 meant just when idling: 60 degree C and a
29 power usage of over 30 watts more then when using the kernel driver. Not
30 to mention the noise of the fan. When I bought my new HD 7770 card last
31 year, it was not supported by the kernel, so I sticked with the
32 ati-drivers. Everythings works as it's supposed to. Dual screen setup
33 with different solutions, power saving when idling, 3D power when you
34 need it (steam games), opencl works fine too.