From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which filesystem for a notebook?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:51:57
1 On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:33:27 +0800
2 Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com> wrote:
6 > I too use XFS for my Home Directory. I think I've suffered 1 instance of
7 > curruption in the entire 2 years I've had this laptop. (Touch Wood)
10 Perhaps I should mention one of the main reasons I use XFS - the tools. Performance
11 is not a reason. Reliability is a reason. And the tools.
12
13 xfs_check and xfs_repair are about the best I've seen. No, if your LVM superblock is
14 trashed, they won't fix it. They fix the filesystem, not the disk/partition structure.
15
16 And xfs_dump/xfs_restore make cloning a partition very easy. Given all the discussion
17 in this list alone about cloning drives, I'm really surprised more people don't adopt XFS
18 just for this issue alone.
19
20 Disclaimer - yes I work for SGI. No I don't develop, I break software. And I pull plugs
21 on running systems. So any advice I give here on anything related to SGI products
22 should be treated with caution. No, I don't speak for SGI. And yes I really do use XFS
23 on almost all my systems - Trying ext3 on a Kurobox (200 MHz PPC runnng Gentoo) and
24 RiserFS on one of the desktop x86 systems.
25
26 Bob
27 -
28 --