From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seek advice: converting Sabayon to Gentoo ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:01:10
1 On Freitag 26 Juni 2009, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Hope not to bother, but ask advice about converting a nominally successful
3 > Sabayon install to Gentoo.
4 >
5 > I've been away from Gentoo for a while, found Ubuntu a joy if for no other
6 > reason than to have time to do what I want to use my system for. I had
7 > found Gentoo required an inordinant amount of time to maintain, and in
8 > several installs, I have always been drawn away by the siren call of newer
9 > and better unstable packages: eventually the systems became inconsistent
10 > enough that I had to bail out. I tried all kinds of make world, etc.,
11 > tricks and tips. Have NEVER had an emerge update to world go completely
12 > well. Maybe one of the problems is the number of packages I install. I
13 > just cannot spend three hours a day maintaining a system!
14 >
15 > Two serious problems for me were Emacs as done for Ubuntu, and the lack of
16 > TeXlive 2008.
17 >
18 > But Ubuntu has some serious shortcomings, and some not so serious ones. I
19 > ended up installing Sabayon 4.1, and it's ok. Had some trouble with
20 > "equo": still don't really understand what it does, but I eventually have
21 > been using emerge and just installing software of my choosing. The
22 > experience has been somewhat elevating, in that none of the problems I've
23 > encountered over the past week have been insurmountable.
24 >
25 > Meanwhile I am brushing up on Gentoo installation methods, with an eye to
26 > being ready if the time comes ...
27 >
28 > So what I am asking this list is about the differences and similarities
29 > between Sabayon and Gentoo. Years ago, I did the same thing, but in a
30 > short time, my system was hosed when I started using emerge. This time,
31 > seemingly I have better luck, but I have not installed packages.
32 >
33 > May I request pointers to useful information on this topic? (The
34 > conversion of a modern Sabayon install to Gentoo)?
35 >
36 > Gentoo makes the most sense to me. But Sabayon already has the hardware
37 > under control.
38 >
39 > Thank you,
40 >
41 > Alan
44 > Alan Davis
45 >
46 > "...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd
47 > definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."
48 >
49 > -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevit
50
51 isn't sabayon nothing but an overlay over gentoo?
52 remove the overlay, emerge -auDn world and you should be fine... I think