From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:46:23
1 Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 >Am 13.12.2012 07:23, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
4 >> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:12:18 -0800
5 >> Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I've only ever used systems with a single CPU. I'm looking for a
8 >new
9 >>> host for a dedicated server (suggestions?) and it looks like I'll
10 >>> probably choose a machine with two or four CPUs. What sort of
11 >>> complications does that add to set up and/or maintenance with
12 >Gentoo?
13 >>
14 >> No complication.
15 >>
16 >> Configure CONFIG_SMP in the the kernel for multicore.
17 >> Everything else is transparent.
18 >>
19 >> Cores make threads work better, so you'd want to investigate if
20 >> USE="threads" is useful for you.
24 >I think he's looking for advice on NUMA, not SMP.
25
26 NUMA is also an option in the kernel. Should also be fully transparent.
27 I got one machine with NUMA and only had to set an option for it.
28
29 Does anyone know how to check it's working properly?
32 Joost
33 --
34 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.