From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 18:11:28
1 On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:38:55 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > The same is also possible with BTRFS, including built in RAID. RAID5
4 > > in btrfs is expermiental, but its RAID1 is like RAID5 in some ways,
5 > > such as giving the capacity of n-1 disks and tolerating a single disk
6 > > failure.
7 >
8 > btrfs raid5 is still fairly experimental (though now it supports
9 > recovery) and works more-or-less how you'd expect raid5 to work.
10 > Raid1 on btrfs gives you the capacity of n/2 and not n-1 disks,
11
12 You're right, I was clearly confused (an oxymoron?) when I wrote that.
13
14 So RAID1 gives less capacity than RAID5 on BTRFS, but it is stable (in
15 btrfs terms).
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 This universe is sold by mass, not by volume.
22 Some expansion may have occurred during shipment