From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:27:42
1 I have a little Mac Mini - my first attempt at Gentoo on a PowerPC -
2 that I brought up this week. It was (is) working but I'm not using it
3 for anything yet. Just playing around with the machine. Nothing
4 serious.
5
6 This morning I wasn't paying much attention and wanted to do an emerge
7 -DuN world. The process had blocking issues:
8
9 MacMini ~ # emerge -pv coreutils
10
11 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
12
13 Calculating dependencies... done!
14 [ebuild U ] sys-devel/automake-1.10.1 [1.10] 897 kB
15 [ebuild U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1 [6.9-r1] USE="acl nls
16 (-selinux) -static -vanilla% -xattr" 3,670 kB
17 [blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1)
18 [blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)
19
20 Total: 2 packages (2 upgrades, 2 blocks), Size of downloads: 4,566 kB
21
22 so without any real thought I did an emerge -C coreutils and walked
23 away. Well, that, it seems, was a *very* bad idea. Now nothing much
24 works. There were some messages that had I been watching I would have
25 stopped the process but I wasn't so there you go. Oops.
26
27 Anyway, the machine is still up and running but I suspect that it
28 might not reboot or allow logins if it did reboot. I'm unable to
29 emerge anything right now. coreutils, as folks probably know, includes
30 stuff that once gone pretty much stops the machine from being
31 interesting or useful.
32
33 Question: Is there a way to recover from this?
34
35 It's not a huge issue even if I have to completely rebuild the
36 machine. As I say this was mostly a Gentoo build on a lark to test out
37 how the machine might work for a couple of different ideas -
38 mythfrontend and a simple router. Everything was quick and dirty and
39 there are a few things I might change anyway, but if I can get it
40 working again I figure I should learn how.
41
42 Thanks in advance,
43 Mark
44 --