From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is /etc/conf.d/net.example?
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:16:33
1 On 16/03/2014 20:27, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
4 [snip]
7 > I'm using wicd now but I want to ditch wicd and replace it with the
8 > "generally accepted correct gentoo way".
9 >
10 > Thank you,
11 >
12 > Chris
18 There is no "generally accepted correct gentoo way", there is only
19 whatever you feel like using.
20
21 You have various choices
22
23 - an orthodox network manager like wicd or nm
24 - a minimal network manager like connman
25 - /etc/init.d/net* scripts supplied by OpenRc
26 - no manager, do it manually
27
28 OpenRc is the default for no real reason other than it is and has been
29 for some time. It can also be gotten to work in every case known to man,
30 the same can't be said for the other options.
31
32 If you want to ditch wicd because you think it's not the supported or
33 approved way, you might want to revisit that choice
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com