From: Justin Findlay <jfindlay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE flags???
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 03:14:45
1 On 5/8/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > The suggested equery wasn't much help, but grep-ing use.local.desc was a gold
3 > mine. Thanks! I had already looked into use.desc and I stopped there and
4 > posted my request for help. Why is it, that use.desc contains less
5 > information about the use flags than use.local.desc?
6
7 The difference is that use.local.desc contains flags that are local to
8 specific ebuilds while the flags in use.desc are system wide flags.
9 Some flags in use.local.desc are common across 2 or even more ebuilds.
10 I don't know why those flags aren't global flags. There may even be
11 flags in use.local.desc that share the same name but mean very
12 different things to different packages.
13
14 Honestly, I think USE flags, as powerful as they are, are the
15 cruftiest part of Gentoo and could be so much more powerful and ought
16 to be so much less clumsy.
19 Justin
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list