From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:56:13
1 Hi,
2
3 As some may know already, I recently got DSL. It's not a super fast
4 connection by broadband standards but it does mean that my box may be
5 easier to find for a hacker. So, I have a few questions about
6 security. I think I am OK but want to make sure.
7
8 1: I have a good root password. It's not something someone would guess
9 for sure. Nothing related to my history, birthdays or anything. It is
10 still fairly easy for me to type tho.
11
12 2: I went to this link: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
13 According to that site my ports are in "stealth" mode which is good from
14 what I understand.
15
16 3: I have no servers running here. No Apache, MySql, or any of that.
17 I also have turned off/stopped ssh since I have only one box at the
18 moment.
19
20 4: I'm currently using this kernel: 2.6.25-gentoo-r9 I plan to
21 upgrade that in the next day or so.
22
23 The DSL modem I am using is the Motorola 2210. It seems to be a gateway
24 thing. I have no router at the moment but if I build a new rig I will
25 be getting one then. Most likely a Linksys or something. I'll post
26 here before getting one anyway. ;-)
27
28 Am I missing anything? If you need more info, let me know. I just want
29 to make sure no one can get into my box without me knowing about it and
30 getting into mischief.
31
32 Thanks much
33