From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Does USB devices share bandwidth?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:56:34
1 张韡武 <zhangweiwu <at> realss.com> writes:
4 > Hello. My old sparc server have a USB extension card, which provides two
5 > USB slots at the back of the machine, driving a USB printer on Slot A.
6 > This printer runs at heavy load. because it cannot print the documents
7 > as fast as we need, I wish to add another printer. In most casese, we
8 > need the two printer working together the same time rather then one
9 > after the other.
10
11 > The two USB slots provided by the USB card are both OHCI (some USB 1.x
12 > stuff, not USB 2.0). So far it seems one single printer uses up all the
13 > USB bandwidth (sometimes printer stop there several seconds wait for
14 > signal). What would happen if I put another Printer there?
15
16 > case A: the new printer uses the bandwidth on slot B, both run as fast
17 > as if they were the only USB printer;
18 > case B: the new printer share bandwidth with the old one, the result is
19 > both printer work 1/2 fast, that is equal to not having bought another
20 > printer at all.
21
22 > Which one is true?
23
24 USB is a 'multi drop' serial bus, like rs485. So if 2 devices on the same
25 usb bus use equal bandwidth, the bandwidth available will be less than
26 1/2 the standards stated throughput. There is always overhead, due to
27 negotiations and arbitration on busses and any form of shared media.
28 Not all USB chips perform up to the usb 2.0 spefication, when robustly
29 benchmarked. (caveat emptor). Drivers and contention for I/O to
30 the kernel can be another common area for under optimiztion of USB.
33 Um you cannot tell how many usb chips and what version of usb they are running
34 by looking at the physical port. To discern more about the details of your
35 usb hardware, ports, chips, busses and versions of usb those chips(firmware
36 support) you need to use some commands like:
37
38 lsusb and lshw. (lspci and discover) also.
39
40 on one of my portables, lspci shows:
41
42 <snip>
43 00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
44 USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
45 00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems[SiS]
46 USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
47 00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
48 USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
49 00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
50 USB 2.0 Controller
51 <snip>
52
53 Installing the printers off of (2) separate USB busses that are indeed
54 usb 2.0 compliant should solve your problems. You might need to use
55 different hardware discovery commands on a sparc architecure....
56
57 hth,
58
59 James