From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: whats a good laptop for gentoo these days?
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 13:47:38
1 On 09/01/2022 12:49, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > My MS surface pro4 has died (swelling battery has popped the screen -
3 > known problem) so I am looking for a better replacement. I bought it new
4 > years ago but it only got good Linux support (touchscreen etc.) in the
5 > last couple of years so its been a bit frustrating.
6 >
7 > So the question is - whats a good replacement?  Criteria is good battery
8 > life, can dual boot windows (this is my only windows machine these days
9 > and there are still some cases - Logitech harmony remote for one) and
10 > gentoo with everything working/supported.  I do like the tablet with
11 > detachable physical keyboard design but I mostly use it with keyboard
12 > attached.  And non-microsoft hardware is preferred (the sp4 failure is a
13 > design issue for which MS suffered a class action lawsuit to get them to
14 > honour the warranty - I don't want a repeat)
15 >
16 > BillK
17 >
18 I've bought a laptop off these people ...
19
20
21 https://junocomputers.com/product-category/laptops/
22
23 They're UK or US but I guess they probably can ship to you. I bought the
24 NyX 14 v2 or similar for my wife (weight was the primary concern, at
25 1.2kg her previous laptop was heavy, this added 2" on the screen for
26 100g but was the lightest I could find that wasn't an astronomic price).
27
28 I'm looking at the NyX 15 AMD v2 for me, I want AMD and don't want more
29 than a 15" screen. I've had a 17" - it's too big for a laptop. Luggable,
30 maybe ... :-)
31
32 You can get a Windows Pro OEM licence pretty cheap off Amazon or
33 wherever, I configured my wife's laptop as dual boot. However, it was
34 some grief. Make sure you install linux first or you'll find the EFI
35 partition is too small to multi-boot.
36
37 And whatever you choose make sure you investigate upping the spec, I
38 think the difference between a 256GB or 512GB m2 was about £10 ...
39
40 Cheers,
41 Wol