From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verify uefi installation
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 07:44:11
1 On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 3:38 PM J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 23 September 2019 07:33:44 CEST, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > >Follow on question; what does efibootmgr actually modify? Is it writing
7 > >motherboard EEPROM values similar what happens when you write changes
8 > >in
9 > >the BIOS setup pages?
10 > >If you, does mean I may have been able to fix this issue in the BIOS?
11 >
12 > It updates something in the CMOS, however, not all UEFI bioses support
13 > manually editing this.
14 > I haven't found a decent option for this on any system I own yet, apart
15 > from efibootmgr.
18 Ok thanks.
19
20 Looks like the setting gets cleared with every BIOS update. I assume this
21 is due to shitty coding by the MB manufacturer and not a limitation of UEFI.
22
23 Anyway i'm running the '1.0.0.3 ABBA' BIOS fine with my Zen2 now.