From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Can someone please explain to me why these bugs are duplicates?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 01:19:01
1 > > Yes, but then I have to manually, one at a time search eix
2 > and compare to
3 > > the output of 'emerge world'. I use eix. That's actually
4 > why I suspect that
5 > > the feature could be implemented fairly easily. Portage has
6 > all the info it needs.
7 >
8 > You do know that eix is not related to portage in any way?
9
10 Not to argue semantics, but I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, but
11 'esearch' or whatever other "database" (used generically) that portage uses
12 has at least what versions there are of each package and if they're ~x86 or
13 not. That's all that's required for this request.
14
15 > Anyway, can you
16 > explain to me how this feature would help you at all. I really don't
17 > understand the use case for it.
18
19 Only because you asked... And the short answer is "mostly for stability and
20 book-keeping".
21
22 I run a mixed environment of stable and testing -- as do most people. Often
23 I run a testing (~x86) package b/c I need a feature that isn't available in
24 the stable version. I would prefer to be all stable, but life is not so kind
25 in the land of Gentoo. And marking packages stable with any regularity seems
26 to be an exercise in patience and nagging and bug requests and waiting and
27 ...
28
29 So then when I do an "emerge world", there are sometimes hundreds of
30 packages. All nickel and diming me to death. Like a -r1 -r2 -r3... Or a
31 v1.0.1 v1.0.2 etc. All these little incremental ones that are mostly due to
32 them being in testing. I really don't give a rat's ass about them and don't
33 want to spend days compiling things just for one tiny little bug fix, or an
34 ebuild fix or whatever else causes a version bump.
35
36 Therefore, if I could easily look and see a flag saying, "Hey! This package
37 is now stable and is equal to or newer than the testing version you've got
38 installed". I would be more inclined to upgrade to it, and simultaneously
39 remove the /etc/portage/package.mask entry so I can therefore continue to be
40 stable until the next "must have" feature in some package.
41
42 That's it. It's quite simple really. I could go on in more depth here, but I
43 feel like I'm just wasting everyone's time. To me, it feels like an obvious
44 and very useful additional information to show, but maybe I'm weird.
45
46 ÐÆ5ÏÐ
47
48 "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll use XML.'"
49 Now they have two problems.
50
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list