From: YoYo siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4 doesn't heed hal keyboard settings
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:31:41
1 On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 01:49:04PM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > I'm not sure how to specify the topic in more detail. Over the last to hours I
5 > tried to get KDE4 to behave like it did before I rebuilt my system. My goal is
6 > to have a German layout with dead keys. In the process I've even gotten the
7 > system to react to the menu key again. But apart from that, for some reason,
8 > KDE4 won't behave like I want it to.
9 >
10 > I say KDE4 because KDE3 apparently works. I know because login with KDM4
11 > doesn't work at the moment, so I'm using KDM3. There I can input accented
12 > letters of all sorts (in the username input field). But not in KDM4 and not in
13 > my KDE4 environment.
14 >
15 > I also tried it with and without KDE's own keyboard layout settings, where I
16 > set up a de layout of default variant (thus with dead keys). But to no avail.
17 >
18 > Here's the content of my hal config file:
19 >
20 > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
21 > <deviceinfo version="0.2">
22 > <device>
23 > <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
24 > <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbRules" type="string">evdev</merge>
25 > <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbModel" type="string">evdev</merge>
26 >
27 > <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbLayout" type="string">de</merge>
28 > <merge key="input.xkb.options"
29 > type="strlist">menu:Multi_key,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp</merge>
30 > </match>
31 > </device>
32 > </deviceinfo>
33 >
34 > It worked before[TM], and I have no idea where else to look. Any ideas please?
35
36 I think taht KDE4 do not touch your initial keyboard settings (xorg.conf or
37 hal,...) unless you change something in its keyboard config
38 (systemsettings ->regional&language->keyboard layout )
39 maybe that you have wrong keyboard set explicitly there?
40
41 I have "disable keyboard layouts" under the "layout" tab selected,
42 but I can't say if it really works correctly (keeps the X
43 configuration defaults) right now, because I can't restart X right now,
44 and I change between
45 'setxkbmap -option grp:shifts_toggle sk,us qwerty,'
46 and a simple
47 'setxkbmap us'
48 with some scripts, because the dual layout confuses some apps like
49 synergy, x2x, rdesktop, even some vnc clients...
52 what happens if you you type "setxkbmap de" in an terminal (konsole,
53 xterm,...) after kde starts up?
54
55 yoyo