From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Remote scanning with saned and xinetd
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:06:26
1 I'm trying to follow the instructions here to set up remote scanning
2 across my network:
3
4 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner
5
6 The USB scanner is detected locally with 'sane-find-scanner -q' and
7 'scanimage -L' but not remotely. I'm sure I have a misconfiguration
8 somewhere as I didn't really understand the remote access part of the
9 instructions I was following.
10
11 I have this in /etc/group:
12
13 scanner:x:411:saned
14 saned:x:412:saned
15
16 xinetd is installed, but at least some of its files were accidentally
17 created with group 'scanner'. I don't know if that makes a
18 difference.
19
20 I commented this:
21
22 only_from = localhost
23
24 in /etc/xinetd.conf.
25
26 There is a list of iptables rules to be applied like:
27
28 [0:0] -A INPUT -m recent --update --seconds 600 --name SANE
29
30 I don't know how to do that, so I skipped it, but I stopped iptables
31 before testing the remote scanner detection. I created
32 /etc/xinet.d/sane-port and started xinetd, but /var/log/daemon.log
33 doesn't exist.
34
35 On the remote system, I installed xsane which pulled in sane-backends
36 and I added 192.168.0.1 to /etc/sane.d/net.conf but 'scanimage -L'
37 doesn't detect the scanner.
38
39 If anyone can point out any possible errors in this process I would
40 really appreciate it.
41
42 - Grant
43 --