From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:28:27
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:30:52 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> One would think that modern stuff would have some sort of protection.
5 >>>> Odd.
6 >>>>
7 >>> indeed. The modern stuff with protection is called 'usb'.
8 >> Well, I meant for the serial/parallel chips tho. Surely it can't be
9 >> hard to at least keep them from blowing their fuse.
10 > The problem is in the connectors, it's too easy to get a static discharge
11 > when connecting them. USB has grounded shields over the connectors.
16 Somewhat off topic, how about a monitor that uses the 15 pin connector?
17 I try not to do those when something is powered up but have done it a
18 couple times. Is that one safe to hotplug? I never thought about that
19 until this came up.
20
21 Dale
22
26 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!