From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:42:50
1 > > > > I thought CUPS was *the* way to print on Linux. Is there
2 > > > > another solution that would work better with Net::Printer?
3 > > >
4 > > > CUPS is the latest in a long string of different print systems,
5 > > > all trying to solve this infernally difficult problem called
6 > > > putting dots on the right place on a bit of paper. And all
7 > > > systems seem to fail at it.
8 > > >
9 > > > Admittedly, CUPS is better than most and to my mind best suited
10 > > > to modern printing needs. What amuses me is what kind of project
11 > > > would recommend you not use CUPS, and what is their reasoning?
12 > >
13 > > What they've suggested is that using lpr on the remote system and
14 > > opening port 631 to the world is a bad idea and that it's much
15 > > better to use Net::Printer. Would you agree?
16 >
17 > I don't know Net::Printer, but if it prints over the network - as the
18 > name implies - it has to use a port. So you have to open that port.
19 > That's how TCP/IP works. No way around it.
20 >
21 > Certainly, the organisation you are working in is behind a firewall
22 > that allows pretty little from the outside to the inside. (If not so,
23 > their network administrator or external consultant or or or should be
24 > beaten over his head until he can spell "Bruce Schneier".) So you are
25 > *not* opening port 631 to the world.
26 >
27 > You are certainly opening it to your organisation. I have messed up my
28 > CUPS configuration right now and can't look it up for sure but I
29 > remember CUPS being able to listen only to certain hosts (IP
30 > addresses) other than localhost. If if this is not so, you can still
31 > set up a firewall on the client box (the one that is supposed to do
32 > the printing) that allows only your server to connect to port 631 on
33 > it.
34 >
35 > If someone then argues about source IP spoofing, just let him. If
36 > someone in your organisation is able to do it, make him your network
37 > admin. ;-)
38
39 You're right, access to the printer can be given only to certain
40 hosts. So simply using 'lpr file.pdf' on the remote machine doesn't
41 strike you as a bad idea?
42
43 - Grant
44 --