From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and kernel developers cooperating to turn it into a global cgroup manager?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 07:36:06
1 On 21/10/13 05:34, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 05:03:51PM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote
3 >
4 >> That's a bridge we will cross when there is a bridge to be crossed, but
5 >> from top of my head:
6 >> We will maintain a minimal patchset that reverts the offending code.
7 >>
8 >> As in, that's nothing to be worried about before it happens.
9 > That's not always possible, e.g. GNOME 3.8.
12 Yes, but it was Gentoo Gnome Teams decision to keep packaging Gnome
13 after they (I mean, GNOME upstream) introduced systemd hard dependency
14 instead of switching to eg. MATE, or helping out with Xfce, etc, and
15 sticking to the distribution default (OpenRC)
16 And then it's yours (I mean, users) decision to keep on using Gnome
17 despite of it
18
19 As we were talking about core, like kernel and part of the userland boot
20 process, I'm just trying to say that Gnome is not important part of the
21 core system, it's just one of the desktops among others, despite of it's
22 past (and current) popularity
23
24 Now I have to admit I'm biased, I used to use GNOME 2.x in past but I've
25 been with Xfce for years now, so I can only imagine what hardcore GNOME
26 users think of all this,
27 if the same thing happened to Xfce, I'd very very much pissed off -- to
28 a point I'd rip out whole systemd support out of the code and package it
29 with limited functionality
30 rather than introducing systemd harddep