From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade - rebuild everything?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:10:19
1 On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just upgraded from gcc-4.4.3-r2 to gcc-4.4.4-r2 and I'm wondering if
3 > I really need to rebuild everything as it says in the guide:
4 >
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
6 >
7 > If not, when is it necessary?
8
9 As that guide says:
10
11 "Generally speaking, upgrades to bug fix releases, like from 3.3.5 to
12 3.3.6, should be quite safe -- just emerge new version, switch your
13 system to use it and rebuild the only affected package, libtool."
14
15 The "General Upgrade Instructions" are more for major version changes.
16 I don't think 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 is considered an upgrade in this sense,
17 just a minor update.
18
19 I think even on larger upgrade, like 4.3 to 4.4, it's only necessary
20 to rebuild everything if libstdc++.so's major version number has
21 changed. @preserved-rebuild will hopefully give some assistance in
22 that case anyway (if you're using a version of portage that has it).