From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtual problem : how can I unmerge Nano ?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:55:40
1 On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 06:16:03 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:17:08 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > >> Yes, I can do 'emerge -C nano', but that is brute force & deprecated.
5 > > Deprecated? Really? I must have missed that.
6 >
7 > root:565 ~> emerge -C nano
8 > * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer,
9 > use
10 > * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies
11 > before
12 > * removing packages.
13 > !!! 'app-editors/nano' (virtual/editor) is part of your system
14 > profile. !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
15 > >>> Waiting 10 seconds before starting...
16 > >>> (Control-C to abort)...
17 > Press Ctrl-C to Stop in: 10 9^C
18 > Exiting on signal 2
19 > root:566 ~> emerge -pv --depclean nano
20 > Calculating dependencies... done!
21 > app-editors/nano-2.3.2 pulled in by:
22 > virtual/editor-0 requires app-editors/nano
23 >
24 > I'ld say that means 'deprecated' as much as anything does,
25 > ie "in order to be safer" do it in a different but recommended way.
26
27 I wouldn't. If it was deprecated, it would say so. All this message says
28 it that using -c is safer than -C, not that -C should not be used. rm -f
29 is less safe than rm -i but it is not deprecated.
30
31 > >> The ebuild has a long list of possible editors,
32 > >> incl Vim Ed Nano, but nothing singling out Nano,
33 > > Except that nano is first in the list and portage takes
34 > > the first available dependency as satisfying the virtual.
35 >
36 > Doesn't Portage check whether any of the others are installed ?!
37
38 Apparently not. As long as the dependency is satisfied, so is portage.
39 Extra checking would only slow down portage's dependency resolution even
40 more.
41
42 > > Unmerge nano and portage will look at the rest of the list,
43 > > be satisfied with vim and not try to re-emerge nano.
44 >
45 > The output above mentions "your system profile".
46 > My @system contains virtual/editor , but not app-editors/nano .
47
48 And the output above shows that nano is considered part of @system
49 because of the virtual.
50
51 > I'ld call this a bug in Portage.
52 > Any other comments before I "damage my system" (output above) ?
53
54 How could removing nano damage your system? Or do you have something that
55 relies on nano to be able to boot? I uninstall nano like this whenever I
56 install a Gentoo system, as I use either Joe or Emacs. I suppose that, at
57 a pinch, Vim would do instead of a proper editor :P
61 Neil Bothwick
62
63 I heard someone tried the monkeys-on-typewriters bit trying for the plays
64 of W. Shakespeare but all they got was the collected works of Francis
65 Bacon