From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:08:04
1 On Monday 17 January 2011 22:45:39 kashani wrote:
2 > On 1/17/2011 12:29 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Not so much :-)
4 > >
5 > > I too have db servers with 96G of ram. 5 of them, so I'm current. I'm
6 > > just gobsmacked that a desktop needs 3G to build a compiler and system
7 > > libs. It's consuming 2G to do that, I'll bet that 1.75G of that is pure
8 > > wastage.
9 > >
10 > > Much like authors who proudly declare that they spent 7 years writing
11 > > some magnum opus. It's a sure bet they were drunk of 6.5 of them :-)
12 >
13 > Not a compiler or system libs.
14 >
15 > "whenever I undertake a large emerge such as chromium or openoffice"
16 >
17 > OpenOffice. Nuff said.
18
19 Yep, amd64 laptop with 4G RAM and 4G swap (for when I hibernate on it).
20 Still, other than hibernating emerging openoffice is I think the only(?)
21 package that actually makes use of swap. Not by much but uses it all the
22 same.
23
24 A x86 desktop with only 3G RAM also uses swap and it uses more of it than the
25 laptop does when emerging openoffice. Same x86 desktop used to have 1G
26 memory in the past and it used even more swap during OOo emerges.
27
28 If I recall right OOo also complains that my /var/tmp is not larger than 6G.
29 I won't be surprised if in a few years time it completely refuses to start the
30 emerge because my /var/tmp is not 12G+ or some such!
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick