From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:22:03
1 On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 11:50 PM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > btw, you're scrubbing over USB? Are you running a raid over USB? Bad
4 > things are likely to happen ...
5
6 So, USB hosts vary in quality I'm sure, but I've been running USB3
7 drives on lizardfs for a while now with zero issues.
8
9 At first I was shucking them and using LSI HBAs. That was a pain for
10 a bunch of reasons, and I would have issues probably due to the HBAs
11 being old or maybe cheap cable issues (and new SAS hardware carries a
12 hefty price tag).
13
14 Then I decided to just try running a drive on USB3 and it worked fine.
15 This isn't for heavy use, but it basically performs identically to
16 SATA. I did the math and for spinning disks you can get 2 drives per
17 host before the data rate starts to become a concern. This is for a
18 distributed filesystem and I'm just using gigabit ethernet, and the
19 cluster is needed more for capacity than IOPS, so USB3 isn't the
20 bottleneck anyway.
21
22 I have yet to have a USB drive have any sort of issue, or drop a
23 connection. And they're running on cheap Pi4s for the most part
24 (which have two USB3 hosts). If for some reason a drive or host
25 dropped the filesystem is redundant at the host level, and it also
26 gracefully recovers data if a host shows back up, but I have yet to
27 see that even happen due to a USB issue. I've had far more issues
28 when I was trying to use LSI HBAs on RockPro64 SBCs (which have a PCIe
29 slot - I had to also use a powered riser).
30
31 Now, if you want to do something where you're going to be pulling
32 closer to max bandwidth out of all your disks at once and you have
33 more than a few disks and you have it on 10GbE or faster, then USB3
34 could be a bottleneck unless you have a lot of hosts (though even then
35 adding USB3 hosts to the motherboard might not be any harder than
36 adding SATA hosts).
39 Rich