From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Pinging two devices on the same IP address
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:48:32
1 On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I don't have access to a MS Windows machine right now, but using mtr I
4 > get: ====================================================
5 > [snip . . .]
6 >
7 > 23. XX-XX-XXX-XX.dhcp.kgpt.tn.cha 6.7% 15 145.5 145.4 143.2
8 > 146.9 1.3
9 > 24. ??? 100.0 15 0.0 0.0
10 > 0.0 0.0 0.0
11 > 25. XX.XX.XXX.XXX 6.7% 15 155.9
12 > 156.2 154.2 159.1 1.3
13 > ====================================================
14 >
15 > It seems that hop 23 is the dhcp server of the ISP. Hop 25. is the
16 > public IP address of the router. I assume that hop 24. is the cable
17 > modem which acts as a bridge(?).
18 >
19 > Since the AP is within the LAN and the connection to it is NAT'ed, it
20 > is not shown above. Am I correct in my thinking?
21
22 From what I can see, and considering that I don't know how much
23 traceroute-like mtr is and I don't know your setup, you should be
24 correct. The idea is that traceroute should reach the AP if everything
25 is working, it should stop at the router if the AP is not working, and
26 at the hop before if the router is not working.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list