From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locale nightmare
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:18:46
1 Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > After much labor, I managed to clean my system (i.e., revdep-rebuild -p
3 > is happy). However, I started having locale problems (which I hadn't
4 > formerly). It shows up with perl and vim.
5 > I want the system to recognize Portuguese accented characters but
6 > otherwise to use English as general language (meaning the language used
7 > in error messages in bash, etc).
8 > I didn't have the file /etc/env.d/02locale (can't imagine why).
9 > $ cat /etc/env.d/02locale
10 > LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
11 > LC_TYPE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
12 > LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.UTF-8@euro"
13 > I followed (more or less)
14 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_UTF-8_enabled_system
15 > (It says
16 > LC_ALL=it_IT.UTF-8
17 > LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8@euro
18 > but isn't this wrong? man locale says LC_ALL overrides LC_*, if I
19 > understood correctly.)
20 > Well, perl is not happy:
21 > $ perl -e ""
22 > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
23 > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
24 > LANGUAGE = (unset),
25 > LC_ALL = (unset),
26 > LC_MONETARY = "pt_PT.UTF-8@euro",
27 > LC_TYPE = "pt_PT.UTF-8",
28 > LANG = "en_US.ISO-8859-1"
29 > are supported and installed
30 > on your system.
31 > perl: warning: Falling back
32 > to the standard locale ("C")
33 >
34 > Writing in vim gives all sorts of silly output.
35 > What to do? Something to emerge? Some kernel config problem?
36 > Why didn't /etc/env.d/02locale exist?
37 > I compiled glibc without the userlocales USE variable, so all locales
38 > should exist...
41 /etc/env.d/02locale doesn't exist by default. I can see from the perl warning that 02local didn't work for you because it says en_US.ISO-8859-1 instead of en_US.UTF-8. You need to run env-update && source /etc/profile.
42
43 Zac
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list