From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] I goofed (was Screen-saver annoyance after recent update)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:28:48
1 Never mind. Here's one for the books. I have 2 computers. d530 is
2 the "production" machine and d531 is the "hot backup". I only have one
3 24" LCD, which has 1 DVI plug and 1 VGA plug. So I hooked up the DVI to
4 d530, and the VGA to d530. My former production machine died recently,
5 and I moved d530 from hot backup to production status, and bought a
6 similar machine (d531) to use as my new hot backup. Normally I only
7 start up the hot backup every 2 to 4 weeks to update it with the latest
8 updates/patches, then I switch it off.
9
10 Since d531 is relatively new, I was still screwing around customizing
11 it to my specs. So both machines were on for hours on end. Rather than
12 switching the LCD monitor back and forth, I ssh'd from d530 to d531.
13
14 It turns out that...
15 - if the DVI and VGA inputs are hooked up to 2 different computers
16 that are turned on
17 - and the DVI connection is active
18 - when the screensaver on the DVI-attached PC kicks in
19 - the LCD monitor automagically switches over to the VGA-attached PC
20
21 Now I understand. Pounding away on d530's keyboard is *NOT* going to
22 wake up d531 from screensaver mode<g>, which the LCD is now displaying.
23 And it also explains why I had to go into the monitor's menu and
24 manually switch the connection back to the DVI-attched PC.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>