From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Saving an image as black and white
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 18:00:30
1 On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 10:54 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > And the png does make a massive difference - the same command with jpg
4 > output is 1.7MB - so why is my scanner chucking out 800KB jpegs if I set
5 > it correctly?
6
7 jpeg quality is adjustable. You can output a jpeg file of almost any size.
8
9 Software less geared towards image editing may not actually let you
10 set the quality level, but the software IS using one. So, two
11 programs could output the same file at different sizes.
12
13 The smaller you make the file, the lower the quality. This does have
14 diminishing returns - as you approach maximum quality you increase the
15 size greatly with very little difference in visual quality.
16
17 Of course, if you try to convert that 1.7MB jpeg into a 30kb jpeg,
18 you'll probably notice the difference. This is why this is a meme:
19 http://needsmorejpeg.com/
22 Rich