From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cannot remove files: operation not permitted
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:12:39
1 Hi there,
2
3 I was trying to make a clean install on a disk with a previous installation
4 of Gentoo on a reiserfs partition, but I wanted to keep some files. I
5 thought I would be able to boot with the LiveCD, mount the partition, remove
6 everything except the files I wanted to keep (moving them to a temporal
7 directory) and then copy a stage3 to the partition.
8
9 After mounting the partition and trying to rm -rf a directory I got a
10 "Cannot remove ... operation not permitted". After googlong a while I found
11 about chattr, and although it seems this is a ext2/3 tool I tried it and I
12 was able to remove some files after doing a chattr -ia on them. Any way,
13 there are some files I'm not able to delete, and they seem to be non regular
14 files (links, linux sockets,...). Any idea why this is happening?
15
16 Thanks in advance, best regards
17 Jose