From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Switching from X to textmode resets textmode to 25 lines
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:04:20
1 I switch between the X gui and true textmode a lot. To get the most
2 out of textmode, I set /etc/conf.d/consolefont to
3
4 CONSOLEFONT="lat1-10"
5
6 This puts the normal VGA console into 80 columns X 40 rows. Setting
7
8 vga = 6
9
10 in /etc/lilo.conf (or equivalant GRUB config file), in combination with
11 lat1-10, gives 80 columns x 48 rows. This does *NOT* require
12 SVGATextmode. And because it uses a 10 pixel high font, it's much more
13 readable than the 50-row display from using CGA fonts (8 pixels high) on
14 a VGA.
15
16 I've been doing this for years, but now I've run into a problem on one
17 machine. It has an nVidia G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] card running the nvidia
18 driver. When I switch from X to a text console ( either shut down X or
19 use {CTRL-ALT-F1} ), all text consoles get kicked back into 25 row
20 mode. The bottom 15 or 23 rows are invisible. I can blindly type
21 "setfont lat1-10" at a command prompt, and get back to 40 or 48 row
22 mode.
23
24 I now login on tty5 and type the setfont command first thing. When
25 switching out of X, I can {CTRL-ALT-F5}, and hit up-arrow and enter
26 (bash history) but it's still a nuisance. How can I stop this from
27 happening?
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>