From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Whole lotta minimal
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:21:47
1 Jan-Hendrik Zab wrote:
2
3 >> Can someone explain the great minimal breakout happening in portage
4 ...
5 > so. The actual problem is that the flag has no 'real' global meaning,
6 > which means that it might turn off some 'unnecessary' features in one
7 > application and turn off one of the most useful in another.
8
9 Sometimes it is not correctly implemented (or its description
10 is not exact). For example, if you emerge mysql with minimal-flag,
11 you will get just mysql-client, not server.
12
13 But mysql is described as "A fast, multi-threaded, multi-user SQL
14 database server" in gentoo package database. And server functionality
15 can not be imho considered as "some unnecessary feature" for any
16 server-software (without that it is not server anymore, is it?)...
17
18 I do have "minimal" in my global USE flags, but it happened
19 to me a few times that I had problems because of it and I had
20 to put "-minimal" for some packages (in packages.use)...
21
22 Jarry
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list