From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I create "dynamic" link?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:03:49
1 On Wednesday 11 August 2010 00:09:13 Bill Longman wrote:
2 > On 08/10/2010 02:06 PM, Jarry wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I am facing this problem: I have subdirectory, let's say
5 > > "/some/dir". I would like to create some kind of "dynamic"
6 > > and "preliminary" link, so that any future subdirectories,
7 > > created later in /some will in fact be links, pointing to
8 > > /some/dir.
9 > >
10 > > So if later any user does:
11 > > cd /some
12 > > mkdir whatever
13 > >
14 > > There should not be subdirectory /some/whatever, but actually link:
15 > > /some/whatever -> /some/dir
16 > >
17 > > Is it possible?
18 >
19 > Unless you write your own kernel module, the answer is "No."
20
21 The slightly longer answer is that the idea, as presented, is stupid. Looks
22 like a foolish grasp at a "solution" for a "problem".
23
24 If the OP wants a link in /some/ he needs to make one using ln
25 If the OP wants a subdir in /some/ he needs to make one using mkdir
26
27 There is no magic way to turn one into the other because they are different.
28 It appears to me that he finds things like /some/otherdir/ that should never
29 have been created at all and their contents should have gone into /some/dir/
30 instead. There's an easy solution to that:
31
32 remove write permission from /some/ and add it to /some/dir/ for all users
33 that write to /some/dir/. They can't create the wrong directories without
34 permissions.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com