From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot partitions (WAS: migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 00:08:29
1 On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:53:25 +0000, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > >Really? Please don't tell this computer, it's been booting from a
4 > >logical partition for more than six years.
5 >
6 > You must have a newer BIOS than I have on my 2004-vintage box, offering
7 > non-standard BIOS facilities. The ISA-standard BIOS only offers
8 > bootstrap from primary partitions.
9
10 I have another box at least eight years old, that happily boots from
11 sda5.
12
13 > Your extended partition begins at sector 124. Any idea what is
14 > occupying sectors 0 - 123 ?
15
16 No idea, I used cfdisk, which must have decided it was a good idea to
17 leave that area untouched. It doesn't show as free space.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Failure is not an option...it is integrated with every Microsoft product.