From: Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Size of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:01:09
1 If you do a:
2 du -hs /usr/portage/distfiles
3 and a
4 du -hs /usr/portage
5
6 You will see that the majority of the space is taken up by the distfiles.
7 This is where emerge stores all the packages that it downloads when
8 installing them on your system. To decrease the size of the directory you
9 can go through it and delete older versions of packages such as:
10
11 I have:
12 zlib-1.2.1.tar.bz2
13 zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
14
15 So you could delete zlib-1.2.1.tar.bz2 since there is a new version. I think
16 there are some scripts out there that do such things but I havent bothered
17 to find them. I wouldnt suggest deleting all the files since if you want to
18 reinstall or add new packages they may require files that have been already
19 downloaded ie: save you the time and bandwidth of redownloading them.
20
21 Cheers
22 Rav