From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/portage
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:21:45
1 On Friday 24 November 2006 12:48, Arnau Bria wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have recently updated my laptop and found some new files
5 > under /etc/portage:
6 >
7 > # ls -lsa
8 > total 36
9 > [...]
10 > 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 nov 20 22:42 bin
11 > 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 nov 21 11:14 postsync.d
12 > 4 drwxrwsr-x 2 root portage 4096 oct 27 2004 sets
13 >
14 > I'm comparing them with same dir in my work pc and those files/dires
15 > are not present... The sync difference between them is about a
16 > week...
17 >
18 > Anyone could explain me what are this files for?
19
20 It would appear that portage put them there, on my system they were
21 probably created around Aug 21. What the files do is:
22
23 - bin contains a script called post-sync
24 - it looks for a directory called postsync.d and if it finds executables
25 there, it executes them all.
26 - Currently the only script there is q-reinitialize, which runs q -r
27 - Running q shows:
28 -r, --reinitialize * Reinitialize ebuild cache
29
30 So, without even having to look into the portage source, I can predict
31 that this gets run after emerge --sync and it's purpose it to easily
32 automate things like reinitializing the ebuild cache without having to
33 hard code it into portage
34
35 Strangely enough, no package claims ownership of these files:
36
37 nazgul portage # equery belongs /etc/portage/bin/post_sync
38 [ Searching for file(s) /etc/portage/bin/post_sync in *... ]
39 nazgul portage #
42 alan
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list