From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] makewhatis -u
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:35:19
1 KH wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > during an update I read somewhere something like: "Hey run makewhatis
5 > -u . Also you should have a cronjob doing this regularly."
6 >
7 > I never heard of this before (but I am not the real geek - more like a
8 > user) but I wonder how regularly I should have the cronjob run the
9 > command. Is this to be done with every update or like every hour (like
10 > I do with locate -u)?
11 >
12 > Thanks for suggestions
16 If you don't use man pages, you may not need to even run it at all. It
17 has a daily cron job here that I assume portage put there. I don't
18 recall putting it there at least. I think it would be nice for it to
19 check this after emerging something that updates a man page myself.
20 Maybe some extra option in make.conf or something. Oooops, watch it
21 already be a option that I don't know about. LOL
22
23 You run locate every hour? You must really add files a lot. :-o
24
25 Dale
26