From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge-webrsync
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:33:12
1 On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 19:12, de Almeida, Valmor F.
2 <dealmeidav@××××.gov> wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > After using emerge-webrsync I got
9 >> Updating Portage cache: 100%
10 >
11 > *** Completed websync, please now perform a normal rsync if possible.
12 > Update is current as of the of YYYYMMDD: 20090219
13 >
14 > I am not sure what the message means "perform a normal rsync if
15 > possible." I used emerge-webrsync because emerge --sync does not work.
16
17 The message couldn't be more clear.
18 The webrsync is not a real sync, so you're not with the latest portage
19 tree, you have the latest portage daily snapshot, if you do a normal
20 sync, then you'll have the latest. To clarify, it even prints the date
21 of this snapshot. Even if you had any doubt, the "if possible" message
22 should make enough clear.
23
24 > Do I still have to do anything else to update the portage tree? Also, I
25 > did not get the typical message warning about a new portage version
26 > (after emerge-webrsync finished) but I did emerge --oneshot portage
27 > anyway and got a new portage. Is this supposed to behave this way?
30 As I said above, if you can't rsync directly, there's no way you can
31 get a newer version than you already have... So, you're OK with the
32 latest portage tree you can get. Now, about the portage versions:.
33 what are the old and new versions? Maybe it was just a revision, not a
34 new version, anyway, that's just a guess.
37 Daniel da Veiga