From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serious problem with linode vm
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:49:25
1 On 2013-04-15 12:10 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Argh. Reply to your own posts if you need to append content. Otherwise,
3 > I can't easily address everything at once.
4
5 Sorry, I usually do, but I'm kind of flustered right now...
6
7 > Anyway, you can (I believe) run a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit CHOST.
8 > Your system is a tad hobbled that way, but it should "work". It'd be
9 > like running multilib without the 64-bit side of things.
10
11 I went ahead and switched back to the 32bit kernel, updated gcc,
12 recompiled openssl/openssh and finally got ssh working again (whew,
13 their Lish Web console sucks)...
14
15 > Set your CFLAGS on your prod server to that of your dev server, if your
16 > dev server is known to work. You're using -march=native on your prod
17 > server, which depends on gcc correctly detecting CPU features from the
18 > host. There was a thread on this list just a few days ago about how that
19 > can fail in virtualized environments. (You can enable/disable exposed
20 > features piecemeal, which could well confuse the heck out of gcc's
21 > detection heuristics...)
22
23 I think I know now - it was glib that got compiled, but not while
24 running a 64bit kernel... it must have been the march-native that
25 screwed it up.
26
27 > I don't know which instruction is 'illegal' on your new host, so, yeah,
28 > the safest path is going to be emerging, well, everything. You don't
29 > want some --as-needed lib getting pulled in some time down the road,
30 > causing a real headscratcher of a crash. As the saying goes[1], "Nuke
31 > everything from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
32
33 <snip>
34
35 > [1] Where'd that come from, anyway?
36
37 Aliens?
38
39 Thanks again Michael