From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub problems
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:02:21
1 I am trying to bring up a new Linux unit (my old desktop died on Thursday).
2 My hardware is an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, running an Athlon X2 3800+ Dual core processor.
3
4 I have a serial ATA 250GB hard drive which I am attempting to install my OS into. The hard drive maps in the bios to SATA4, and maps within Linux to /dev/sda.
5
6 I also have two other parallel IDE dard drives, connected via a raid controller (though not configured for RAID) to Drive numbers 0 and 3 on the RAID controller. These drives map to hde and hdh respectively, with a DVD writer mapping to both /dev/hda and /dev/dvdrw.
7
8 The bios is configured to boot first from the DVD (primary IDE master) then from the 250GB SATA hard drive.
9
10 swapspace is on /dev/sda2, /boot is on /dev/sda1, and root is on /dev/sda6
11
12 I am running genkernel
13
14 After I configure grub, and install grub to the mbr using grub-install, the reboot fails, with GRUB doing nothing but display the text 'GRUB'.
15
16 Evidently, either I am doing something wrong at the grub-install stage, or there is a problem with grub. I have had a similar lack of success with Fedora Core 6 and Mandriva installs (same problem).
17
18 The boot partition is an ext3 filesystem
19
20 My grub.conf file is as follows:
21
22 default=0
23 timeout=30
24 splashimage=(hd0,5)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
25 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.17-r8
26 root (hd0,5)
27 kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2,6,17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda6 udev vga=0x318 video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap doscsi
28 initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.17-gentoo-r8
29
30 When I run grub-install /dev/sda, it reports no errors.
31
32 The device.map file contains the following
33 (hd0) /dev/sda
34 This file was generated by the fedora installation (possibly the source of the problem?).
35
36 Update:
37 >After a little bit of surfing, I tried the command grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
38 >That changed the device map file so that the /dev/sda drive mapped to hd2
39 >
40 >The full /boot/grub/device.map listing is now
41 >(fd0) /dev/fd0
42 >(hd0) /dev/hde
43 >(hd1) /dev/hdh
44 >(hd2) /dev/sda
45 >
46 >I edited the grub.conf file so that the splash image and root lines reference (hd2,5), then re-ran grub-install /dev/sda. Still no joy. On boot up, the screen stays blank for a while, then every 10 seconds or so, it adds another " GRUB" text element to the screen. No sign of any boot-up activity.
47
48 Any suggestions gratefully received, as I'm trying to get this system working by the end of the weekend.
49
50 Thanks in advance
51
52 Jeff