From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:35:44
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 22/06/2020 19:50, Dale wrote:
3 >> Anyway, the 8GB cards have been plenty large enough so it could be
4 >> any number of reasons they say the limit is 32GB.  It could be they
5 >> know it will run out of file names.  Most pics are named with four
6 >> digit numbers. So, 9,999 files and it either stops taking pics or
7 >> starts overwriting the files.  I haven't done the math.
8 >
9 > The OBVIOUS reason is that the SDHC spec supports a maximum of 32GB.
10 > Stick a larger card in and you're likely to have problems when the
11 > card starts filling up.
12 >>
13 >> I just thought of something.  The video camera doesn't have a format
14 >> function.  I use a old camera that is broken to format it.  It
15 >> doesn't take pics anymore but the display works and it formats fine.
16 >> Now I can format them all without having to squint.  ROFL
17 >
18 > Or use mkfs.vfat to reformat it under linux :-)
19 >
20 > Cheers,
21 > Wol
25 I did that once and for some reason, it didn't write any files.  I know
26 there was deer there but no pics.  I know they were there because the
27 food was gone, even the crumbs.  After that, I use a trail camera to
28 format with.  I think what it is, it not only formats but also creates
29 the directories it needs as well.  If they don't exist, then it fails to
30 write the files.  One would think it would create it when it took the
31 first pic or video but we know some folks don't do things in a good
32 way.  ;-)
33
34 I suspect you could be right about it messing up when it fills up too.
35 I think I read where someone else mentioned that.  May have been you or
36 Neil.  Anyway, I'm not buying a card just to test it tho.  They to
37 pricey and I'm not that curious.
38
39 Dale
40