From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge update gcc downgrade
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:06:58
1 Kraus Philipp writes:
2
3 > I run in a virtual machine a gentoo (~x86) system. I synced the portage
4 > tree at the weekend an run emerge --update
5 >
6 > The update runs without errors, but emerge installed the gcc 4.3.4,
7 > but on the system is the 4.4.3 installed
8 >
9 > [ebuild NS ] sys-devel/gcc-4.3.4 [4.4.3] USE="hardened mudflap nls
10 > nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -fortran -
11 > gcj -gtk (-libffi) (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nocxx -nopie -
12 > objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla"
13 >
14 > After the update I run "emerge --depclean" and the 4.3.4 is unmerged
15 > and now
16 > I run emerge --update the gcc should installed again
17 [...]
18
19 > Can anybody help me to fix the gcc problem? I only need the 4.4.3 gcc
20
21 I do not understand this, but anyway: Add the -t / --tree option you your
22 emerge command, I guess then you can see which package pulls in the old
23 gcc. I assume that something needs the old gcc for building, but when it
24 is built, the old gcc is no longer needed, so emerge --depclean will
25 remove it.
26 Do you have "--with-bdeps y" in your EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf?
27 Otherwise this should not happen. And if it is set like this, depclean
28 should not remove it. Hmmmmmm.
29
30 You could also emerge -n sys-devel/gcc:4.3 in order to add it to your
31 world file. Depclean would not remove it then. No real solution, but it
32 would spare you the emerges. Or you build a binary package with quickpkg,
33 and use the -k option to emerge, so it will emerge the binary instead of
34 building from scratch every time.
35
36 Wonko