From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printer
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:17:45
1 Stephane Guedon wrote:
2 > Hi everyone
3 >
4 > I am now forced to replace my epson printer.
5 >
6 > Anyone think of a printer for which ink is quite cheap (contrary to the epson)
7 > and that allow to have status not only in windows ?
8 >
9 > Epson as an utility to have ink status in windows and linux, but I have my
10 > printer on a server and was in hope some could have ink status iin cups ...
11 >
12 > So, anyone that have a suggestion is welcome !
15 For my personal experience, I have yet to have a HP printer not work.
16 You can get the ink levels and such too. It has a GUI thingy for that
17 but I think it has a command line tool as well, in case it is hooked to
18 a server or something with no GUI.
19
20 The way I buy a printer, I find the cartridges first. Then I find a
21 printer that uses the cartridge. My current printer uses the 74XL and
22 75XL cartridge. Those are the high capacity ones. They print about 3
23 times the pages. I buy the generic ones and they are both cheaper and I
24 think they have more ink. They certainly last longer than the HP ones.
25 I did buy one set of HP XL ones since they were on sale locally.
26
27 If you can afford a laser printer up front, that is cheaper in the long
28 run, as others have already posted. Just keep the printer in a
29 relatively dry location. Read that as low humidity. If you have
30 humidity problems, turn it on and let it warm up a few times a week. I
31 did that at my friends business when the printers were in the basement.
32 Real humid in there. If left long enough, the print gets pretty bad.
33
34 Hope that helps. Lots of option.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
42 how you interpreted my words!
43
44 Miss the compile output? Hint:
45 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"