From: "Petteri Räty" <petteri.raty@××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Subversion 1.2
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:40:06
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
5 > Hmmm - that all sounds sane, but what is this default period of time?
6 > What criteria must be met in order for a masked package (and
7 > specifically for Subversion) to become unmasked?
8
9 At least a month and there can't be any major bugs reported to
10 bugs.gentoo.org. About specifics on Subversion you need to ask its
11 maintainer. It will stay masked as long as needed for the maintainer to
12 become sure that the package really is stable.
13
14 > Ideally I'd like to follow the natural upgrade cycle in future.
15 > Wouldn't putting those lines in my package.keywords file prevent me
16 > getting, say, version 1.3 automatically when I do an "emerge -uD world"
17 > in another few months?
18
19 No it would not. You are just changing the accepted the keywords for
20 Subversion. Portage always chooses the latest version with accepted
21 keywords. If just add dev-util/subversion you say that you will accept
22 every version marked as ~x86 or you can use =dev-util/subversion-1.2.1
23 to only mark one version. If you don't use version numbers, you will
24 always update to the latest version. If you lock down the version
25 number, the next time you will update if after there is a version
26 greater then 1.2.1, which is marked stable (x86).
27
28 > I'm only impatient in so far as I'd prefer to use my gentoo server
29 > rather than some other platform. I'm already using Subversion 1.2 on
30 > other platforms and I've found no problems for my configuration.... so
31 > (other than possible gentoo specific issues) I'm happy to run the latest
32 > Subversion.
33 > [Disclaimer - please don't blame me if your requirements are more
34 > demanding than mine!. :-) ]
35
36 Gentoo is all about choice.
39 > Thanks for the reply - it at least convinces me that it is possible to
40 > get Subersion-1.2 installed... However, your solution raises more
41 > questions from me about Gentoo. I'm now unsure if I want to wait-out
42 > the default unstable time for packages (to minimise risk and to simplify
43 > systems management) - or if there is a more subtle way to declare that
44 > I'd like version 1.2.1 now and to have that upgraded when a future
45 > version newer than that which becomes unmasked. Am I missing some other
46 > obvious things? I found the Gentoo handbook a little opaque on the
47 > topic of masked packages... lots of info - just not the answers to the
48 > questions I was thinking.
52 Hopefully I answered this.
53
54 Regards,