From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 21:19:02
1 On 8 July 2011, at 20:06, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I didn't want to comment on this thread (having been on both sides of
4 > the fence). But I will say this. The best thing about Gentoo is it's a
5 > "meta-distribution". It gives you more control and more ease to do
6 > things "your" way. I think people should learn to take more advantage
7 > of the latter. I do.
8
9 Yeah, I hope I don't offend Nikos by saying this, but I think he's allowing himself (from his comments in the bug report) to get way too bent out of shape over this, considering he could stick a copy of the patched ebuild in his local overlay and just compile against that until gtk3 looks OK under KDE.
10
11 I have to do this fairly regularly, because all the packages that are important to me seem to be completely unimportant to anyone else, and my bugs languish in bugzilla for months at a time.
12
13 You have to pick your battles, and (whilst I'm not always able to follow this advice myself) it's not worth letting some asshole on the internet have a negative affect on you.
14
15 Nikos has now spent *way* more time arguing his case in the bug report than he would have done maintaining the ebuild himself.
16
17 Stroller.