From: leszek <leszek@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:05:14
1 > Forgive my ignorance, but what is RSYNC?
2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync
3 basically, portage use rsync to update the information on packages
4 (ebuilds) in /usr/portage (with emerge --sync)
7 > If anything, this is a indicator that I need to try and contribute to
8 > the portage project... at least contribute as much as I'm able.
9 you should try the ~x86 version of portage which has many improvements:
10 $ echo "sys-apps/portage ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.use
11 $ emerge portage
12
13 you should also know that there is an alternative package manager which
14 will maybe replace portage in the future: paludis.
15 It is still in early development so use it at your own risk.
16 http://paludis.berlios.de/
17
18 you can find more info on portage on the new gentoo development guide:
19 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list