From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:14:39
1 On 2021-11-15 08:33-0700 Skippy <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 11/6/21 14:51, tastytea wrote:
4 > snip
7 > > The fork everyone is using now is yt-dlp (net-misc/yt-dlp). It
8 > > downloads with normal speeds. The newest version of the ebuild
9 > > installs a compatibility-wrapper so programs calling youtube-dl will
10 > > automatically use yt-dlp instead.
11 > >
12 > > Kind regards, tastytea
15 > I didn't know abouot yt-dlp either. Thanks for the info. I installed
16 > it but it will not work with gPodder.
17 >
18 > When in gPodder i enable use of Youtube-dl I get the message
19 >
20 > Extension cannot be activated.
21 > Python module not found: youtube_dl
22
23 That looks like it does not use the program, but the python module
24 directly. You could try if symlinking
25 /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp to
26 /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/youtube_dl helps. Replace python3.9
27 with your version of course.
28 If that works, please file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org.
29
30 > Anyone know how to make gPodder use yt-dlp?
31 >
32 > Do I simply need a link that sends youtube_dl to yt-dlp?
33
34 yt-dlp already installs a wrapper script in /usr/bin/youtube-dl.
35
36 Kind regards, tastytea
39 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
40 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.