From: Bob Young <RKY@×××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A DNS question.
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:24:45
1 This isn't strictly a Gentoo question, but I'm setting up Gentoo box to be
2 used as a secondary DNS server, plus some other duties, and I'm hoping there
3 is a DNS wizard reading who can authoritatively answer my question.
4
5 First off the machine has three network cards, one with a (DHCP) private IP
6 (10.10.32.1) for talking to the local (Windows Domain) LAN. A second NIC
7 with a (Manually configured) IP address (69.12.134.79) that is publicly
8 registered (ns.debug1.com) as a secondary DNS for several domains. And the
9 third NIC has a (Manually configured) private IP address (192.168.0.1) that
10 will be used to "sniff" all traffic that crosses the DSL modem.
11
12 Obviously on a given system each NIC is usually connected to a different
13 domain, my question is, whether or not it is /legal/possible/okay to use
14 different *hostnames* on different NICs?
15
16 For example, in the scenario described above, assume the windows domain is
17 named "mydomain.lan," can I have 69.12.134.79 (NIC #2) resolve to
18 ns.debug1.com as that is it's publicly registered name, while IP address
19 10.10.32.1 (NIC #1) resolves to gentoo.mydomain.lan?
20
21 TIA
22 Bob Young
23 San Jose, CA.