From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dolphin only allowing a single instance after update
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 10:33:41
1 On Friday, 23 August 2019 09:27:55 BST Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 23/08/2019 11:18, Mick wrote:
3 > > Konqueror was the best file manager ever, with multiple vertical and
4 > > horizontal window split, with kio-slaves which would process or play
5 > > anything and everything you threw at it, with browser integration, ftp/s
6 > > and sftp/fish, etc. Nope, evidently konqueror wasn't good enough, so
7 > > here comes dolphin
8 > From what I remember, it isn't that Konqueror wasn't good enough, it's
9 > that the person who developed it lost interest or didn't have the time
10 > for it anymore.
11
12 Yes, the world moves on and so do devs with their decisions. With the move
13 from KDE3 to KDE4 some devs had the inspired decision to develop a new file
14 manager, which would be a file manager only - Konqueror was like a Swiss army
15 knife, a multitool in your Linux pocket.
16
17 From what they had written at the time I understand they came to an
18 architectural decision for KDE4 to only keep one app for each task. It is
19 reasonable to want to focus their horsepower on other KDE4 development needs
20 and not diffuse their efforts on various applications just duplicating
21 functionality. This decision also leads to simpler apps, simpler to maintain.
24 > KDE isn't Apple or Microsoft. People work on whatever they want to work on.
25
26 This was a conscious developer team decision, rather than some dev deciding to
27 develop what gave them personal pleasure. Still, I'm missing Konqueror all
28 the same. I now end up using more than one application to perform tasks where
29 a multi-view Konqueror instance would suffice:
30
31 - file manager
32 - sftp client to remote server
33 - webdav(s) client to remote server
34 - audio CD rip/transcoder (it would present the audio content in multiple
35 formats to drag and drop on your drive, ripping on demand)
36 - PDF viewer
37 - video player/viewer
38 - archiver
39 - gpg/smime file encryption/signing
40 - internet browser
41 - navigation (bookmarks/block devices/networks)
42
43 Of course, Konqueror did not perform all these functions using some native
44 code itself, but the GUI-fied seamlessness with which it hooked up to the
45 requisite kio-slave to do what you asked without getting in the way, was what
46 I really admired in it.
49 Regards,
50
51 Mick