From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Incredibly slow disk access
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:38:08
1 On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Wayn0 wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > If you have sata drives, and they are showing up as hdx, you have
4 > > something seriously misconfigured. They should be showing as sdx.
5 > >
6 > > Deselect everything in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL and select the relevant boxes
7 > > in serial ATA. Dont forget fstab will need redoing to match.
8 > >
9 > > I always thought that if you select both, serial ata should take
10 > > precedence, and in some cases you can access via both, but I have at
11 > > least one machine that will only work as sata with all the older ata
12 > > stuff deselected.
13 > >
14 > > BillK
15 >
16 > Cheers,
17 >
18 > This is why it's doing my head in. I have a desktop with both sata pata
19 > drives in with a very similar kernel config and it work as expected :-/
20 >
21 > I will try removing all the ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL stuff tonight, and report
22 > back later.
23
24 For sata drives use this, not hdparm:
25
26 # eix -l sdparm
27 * sys-apps/sdparm
28 Available versions: