From: Norman Invasion <invasivenorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 13:38:51
1 On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
3 >
4 > I've done some longer testing, always playing the same video parallel
5 > with a dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/10G bs=1M count=10000, in mplayer, for a
6 > minute, several times. When I do this by opening the file in Dolphin, I
7 > get about 15 interruptions, some for longer than a second. Started on the
8 > command line, there are very few, I can play the video for minutes
9 > without a gap. Hooray!
10 >
11 > In KDE, I usually play videos by opening them in Dolphin. I exchanged
12 > 'mplayer %U' by 'xterm -T MPLAYER -e mplayer %U' in the settings, now
13 > mplayer runs in a terminal, and all is fine. I created a window rule so
14 > the terminal automatically minimizes. Cool!
15 >
16 > It only happens in mplayer and mplayer2. Other players work fine, but I
17 > like mplayer best, and prefer to run it without any window decoration.
18 >
19 > Now, would this be an MPlayer problem, or one of Dolphin?
22 Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
23 but do you have any advanced power management features
24 enabled (especially hard drive related)?
25 When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
26 of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
27 the drive spins back up.